Thursday, May 7, 2009

Getting Things Done/REMEMBER THE MILK!!!


GTD=Getting Things Done. Skip the video (45 minutes!) and you can get a LOT done in that time. Computer "productivity" seems to be all about organizing. I like Remember the Milk; I'm a big fan of lists. Unfortunately, I like to have my lists with me wherever I go. I also like the iGoogle dashboard. Phases of the moon, a calendar, weather, to-do list... I understand Googledocs. How secure is that stuff out there in cyberspace? If it's making plans with friends, no biggie, but I wouldn't put anything out there that I didn't want the whole world to see.
Found some great tips on Stepcase Lifehack ("50 tricks to Get Things Done faster, better, and more easily") But, "Dial2Do" (available in 24 countries)... Call a number and have them do things (?) for you, like e-mail. Doesn't anyone ever RELAX anymore? All the free Apps we're greatful for: organizing all your wikis, blogs, email, bookmarks, IMs... I'd have to spend most of my life on a computer to even understand how valuable these things are. Just not ready to go there. VLC Media Player: master your digital media. Ubuntu: let's rethink Linux. Pidgin: a cross-platform multi-protocol IM app. Launchy, Digsby, etc. etc. EEEEEEEEK.
OK, calm down. I was sort of interested in the 2.0 website awards. I had at least heard of a lot of the sites, but was curious to see the #1 picks for things like shopping, runners-up for Flikr, etc.
I'm hoping this class is just to let us know what's out there, so we're at least somewhat in tune with our (student) patrons. As far as productivity goes, I'm still voting for a wiki for our ILL team.
2.0 Awards for the top websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment